Today is a wonderful day because today is International Women’s Day. That’s right, a day to celebrate and support women’s accomplishments, achievements, and, in essence, our existence. To those who say that such a day is pointless, I say to you with the utmost sincerity and firmness, you are wrong. Historically and traditionally, women have had unequal footing in society. Ergo, a day that recognizes our importance and validates that we deserve every damn right to be treated and viewed as equal is necessary. Feminism is, per its definition, the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes: it is not man-hating. It’s a call for unity. And anyone can be a feminist, because feminism includes EVERYONE. A day as special as International Women’s day needs to be celebrated properly, so here’s a guide as to how to celebrate the best day of the year. Here’s a song to set the mood.
- Everyone needs a female empowering playlist. Here are my go to: Girl Power Anthems & Girl Power
- Support Fellow Boss Ladies and their Endeavors: Man Repeller and Glossier, companies run by women for women
- Watch Empowering Speeches: Over the past few years, we have had the privilege of hearing incredible women speak about the issues and struggles women everywhere face. Let’s face it, it’s pretty damn inspiring. My three favorite speeches I’ve watched today were made by Malala Yousafzai, accepting her Nobel Prize, Emma Watson addressing the UN, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie giving her incredible Ted Talk.
- Encourage young girls to purse their passions whatever field it may be,whether it be coding like Kode with Klossy , soccer, or fashion.
- Donate to Organizations like He for She and The Malala Fund.
Last but not least, just support ladies everywhere!!!
Yes, we are sisters, mothers, wives, & daughters, but more importantly we are human beings who deserve and are owed equal treatment. Have a Happy International Women’s day!
some lovely art work